When and where: This morning, NPR, sometime between 6:50 am and 7:05 am. It was a segment about mandatory protections for adult film actors. I honestly wasn't paying attention to the program, but I was thinking about gathering words for this blog. I heard the word moratorium and I couldn't place the definition right off the top of my head. I started listening to try to piece together what it might mean. From what I gathered from listening, adult film actors have certain regulations that are put in place to protect their health. (I apologize for the topic!)
Level of familiarity: I knew that I knew the word, that if I dug deep enough I would find it in the back of my brain. I surmised from the context and what I thought I could remember that moratorium is a type of law.
What it means: Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines moratorium as a legally authorized waiting period, usually in relation to some kind of legal obligation.
Reflective commentary: I was surprised that moratorium referred to the waiting period as opposed to the law that requires the film to wait while everyone gets tested. In my head, mandate and moratorium were synonymous. I think that it is important to include the relationship with a legal or official obligation - for instance, there isn't a moratorium for cookies, just a wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment