When and where: I recently made a choice that I didn't think would ever make: I created a Facebook account. My sister got married and the only way she has chosen to share her photos is via Facebook, so I felt obligated to join in order to see the photos. Recently, one of my friends from Geneseo posted this article from thehairpin.com on student loan debt, posted on Oct 16, 2013. In discussing the solutions for student debt, one option was expatriation.
Level of familiarity: None. Context clues were non-existent, other than it was provided in a list which included suicide and revolt. So I knew it had to be a way to get out of paying debts... but I couldn't even guess what it meant.
What it means: Merriam Webster online dictionary defines expatriation as the act of going into exile. The word "exile" seems to differ from expatriation in that exile is forced and one might still have allegiance to one's country. Expatriation denotes a resignation of allegiance to one's country. I'm thinking the root of the word here is patriot - and the prefix "ex" means to remove from patriotism.
Reflective commentary: I wanted to include this word because I had absolutely no context clues to figure this word out. It was imperative for me to look up the word before I could continue on with the article. The rest of the article didn't have any other particularly difficult words or new words.
No comments:
Post a Comment