When and where: I participated in STANYS at the beginning of last week. It was a wealth of information and I met some really wonderful and helpful people. However, all of my sessions on Monday were not very helpful. Some were even downright boring. For example, I attended one called "The Future of Earth Science in NYS" which I imagined to be about the effects of CCSS or best practices. But no, it was a couple of textbook representatives who didn't explain who they were or even what their textbook was - just "so, we wrote this textbook" - and told us that Next Gen standards were going to be difficult for everyone else in the country but not NYS. Thanks. That was helpful. Anyhow, they were talking about STANYS role in helping with the Next Gen standards and said that a consortium had come together, but it was mostly STANYS executives.
Level of familiarity: I had heard of a consortium agreement, but I didn't know that a group of people could be a consortium. I thought that a consortium agreement was an agreement that people had compromised over and no one really liked, but it was the only thing they could agree on.
What it means: Merriam Webster online dictionary defines consortium as a group of people that decide to work together.
Reflective commentary: Considering what consortium actually means, what I thought a consortium agreement was is hilarious. Mainly because I feel like nothing gets accomplished when people work together. Ideally, people are bringing their best ideas and having others refine and add to those ideas. But in reality, just as textbook lady was telling us, the results are not up to anyone's standards and everyone has compromised and isn't truly happy with the product.
No comments:
Post a Comment